Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Unit Plans (Christian Perspective)

As a Christian school, our special character must be reflected in our units of work. Within our units of work in the Science department we use a unit template that ensures we have appropriate Christian foundations and considerations for our courses.

There is a unit plan attached (see link below) which incorporates the following areas of oru special character:

  • An overarching biblical reflection that links to the topic
  • Areas of our school purpose statement to focus on (+ reflection)
  • Areas of worldview to focus on (+ reflection)
  • Biblical perspectives and contexts for sub-topics
Incorporating these areas (plus Key Competencies, NZ contexts, and actual content) can seem overwhelming and challenging. I have used these different aspects by reading through them several times before writing the unit to refresh them in my mind, then being mindful of them while writing the unit which helps me incorporate various aspects. After writing the unit I then re-read the different aspects to see if there was anything major left out.

Post-teaching of the unit and/or later in the year, I can reflect on this once more to see whether all aspects were properly considered. I can then add student reflections from the year into the mix and modify my units (and notes and activities for students) for the following year.