Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Modelling Risk-Taking (and failing well)

One aspect of developing a learning-focused culture is to model the attitude of "give-it-a-go". Some ways that I try to do this:

  • Pointing out when I am trying something for the first time, e.g. drawing a particular diagram.
  • Being willing to reflect on what worked well and what didn't (for the sake of improving as the goal). When the teacher is open to making mistakes and improving based on feedback, how much easier is it for students to buy into the same process?
  • Ensuring there is the safest possible classroom (social) environment for positive risk-taking in learning (I do this by coming down hard on students who mock others when they get things wrong, even if they don't mean anything nasty) - I've noted one student in particular who has struggled with self-confidence in taking good learning risks and he as improved greatly through the year in positive risk-taking.
  • Explaining the meta-aspects of how to learn things, e.g. repetition for learning definitions or drawing diagrams, that the first time will not likely be fancy but with repetition you improve. Also demonstrating the process on the board for something like this.
  • Being willing to get out of my comfort zone and practicing what I preach in students doing this, i.e. they should push gently out of their comfort zone by participating in unfamiliar areas so I do things like dramatic physical illustrations that don't come naturally to my somewhat introverted personality.