Monday, August 13, 2018

School Exams

I'm currently working through preparation for school exams. My practice is to purchase exams from a subject association or other source and then modify them to suit. If I left them unchanged, I would not be giving my students as useful feedback on their performance. If they don't get the best feedback on their performance, I can't help them improve to get the best in their final NZQA examinations at the end of the year.

What do I do?

In no particular order, some of my considerations are as follows:

  • Ensure there are no ambiguous instructions or diagrams
  • Ensure there are no unnecessary barriers to them getting their knowledge onto the paper, e.g. use as straightforward terminology as possible (especially important for those for whom English is a second language)
  • Ensure the layout and instructions are as close to the end of year exams from previous years so they are put at ease when they sit the real exams
  • By trying the questions I ensure there are no mistakes, e.g. in numbers supplied/missing, that could knock a student's confidence
  • I also adjust the marking schedules as I mark the papers so that they are easy enough for students to interpret when they are revising
  • Another marking note: I try to write helpful comments on incorrect answers, e.g. that help students address misconceptions in their thinking
This may seem like nit-picking, and to some extent a resilient and strongly motivated self-learner will not require these small helps. However, most students are not as resilient or motivated enough for it not to matter. Every "small" hindrance adds to a larger accumulated effect. It is more than worth the effort in my opinion, and according to my experience.

It is important to listen to feedback from students on exams/assessments sat, whether formal or informal, so that we can improve how we assess formatively and how we give useful feedback for improving student success.