Sunday, August 12, 2018

Auckland Physics Teachers' Day 2017

Every year, I try to make it to the Auckland Physics Teachers' Day. This is a day where we can share ideas with each other as Physics teachers and form contacts to help one another. The 2017 day saw me bring back some ideas to do with Studio Learning and water balloons.

Studio Learning

This conversation was in the context of a sort of flipped classroom model. I listened to the session and used the time to reflect on how that might look in my particular teaching context. I already use videos I have made previously on The Physics Lounge (http://pl.samhight.com/) to supplement my teaching in class, and the next step would be to completely flip classes.

Reflecting further after the Physics Teachers' Day, I realised that I wasn't yet in a good position to flip. I realised that I needed to continue my plan of forming solid courses in Y12 and Y13 with a solid/reliable set of resources for practical work before I could consider this properly. It would also rely on others sharing the room to follow a similar model as the physical layout would need to be changed to create stations/bases around the room.

As to the "why": Why would I want to consider a Studio Learning model? Because that is the direction some Universities are headed and I need to best prepare my students for University.

Water Balloons

In discussion with others and observation of some video resources, I discovered some creative applications of balloons and water balloons. This seemed like a good way to have some fun and to make the classroom experience more enjoyable and memorable for students. I resolved to pick up some water balloons to trial some experiments.

Experiments trialed so far:
  • Static Electricity - blow up, rub on wool to charge, stick to ceiling
  • Pressure - attempt to blow up normal balloon then water balloon  and compare/contrast to develop the concept of pressure explaining same force but harder to blow up through smaller nozzle. Can use straws for normal balloon to make it harder also.
Experiments I want to try:
  • Projectile motion - added risk if you drop the water balloon, makes it memorable. Can throw in the air vertically on a bike and stationary observer can see the parabolic arc.
  • Sound - making squeaky noises with more/less tension from balloons vs water balloons