A brief overview of what I have done:
- Recognised the need to improve in this area to prevent burnout and meet the varied needs of 4 or 5 streams within the class (discussion with learning partner + own reflections)
- Sourced outside ideas from a range of sources which showed me my expectations for differentiated learning were incorrect and I needed to pivot my inquiry to address engagement via reflection on readiness to learn and micro-goal setting (primarily literature/research - see reflections on file linked below)
- Trialed readiness to learn surveys + micro goal setting and reflected on them (student data/feedback from these surveys + my observations of lessons when they completed the surveys)
- Collect reflections on the validity and effectiveness of these surveys from students and myself.
- Decide which strategies to keep and how I can further improve in coming years.
I feel that I have learned some useful strategies through this inquiry, though the actual skill (reflecting on readiness to learn) did not have a large impact on student engagement. I feel that this is a tool that I can use for individuals who are in need of accountability to engage with lessons meaningfully. I will keep this in my "toolbox" to use with students for whom it may be beneficial, or for classes that don't come in with an air of positive readiness to learn.
Link to inquiry document